Thursday, November 24, 2011

Wild Woman Thanksgiving


It is now 9:30 at night, and I am finally settling down to watch my traditional “Miracle on 34th Street” movie. The dish washer is finishing up the second load while the pots and pans dry are nestled in their drying rack. Every piece of Tupperware is now in use, either in my refrigerator or in the containers taken home by family and friends. That’s one of my post-Thanksgiving tricks – give all of it away, so you don’t wind up eating too many leftovers! You know how easy it is to talk yourself into overeating: “Oh, I ate waaaay too much on Thanksgiving, so I might as well just eat myself into a lost weekend and start all over again on Monday. If you overindulged today, just start fresh now.

I started my day by going to the gym for a new class. Can I tell you how packed the gym was? The studios were filled with people stepping, spinning and sweating. Now my gym is a big, beautiful place, and still every treadmill and elliptical was movin’ and groovin’. This is called paying the calories forward. Burn it now, eat Thanksgiving dinner with no guilt! It was impressive. The minute I got home I began all the food preparations, so truly this is about the first time I have had to just sit down. I know many of my wild woman friends out there are feeling the same way.

Now I know, I could be driving to some mall store right now to start my shopping early. I must admit I crack up watching that crazy woman in training for the Target store sales. But… I cannot think of anything on earth that I want badly enough to go shopping tonight, midnight, or 5am tomorrow. Bless the hearts of all you dedicated shoppers out there, and remember to consider all that walking your cardio!

As you finish up your day, I encourage you to count your blessings, and as the song goes, name them one by one. The holiday madness begins tomorrow, but don’t think about it just yet. If this wasn’t a happy day for you, I am sorry. I’ve had some lousy Thanksgiving holidays myself (including two hospital stays), and they’re not easy to cope with, but try to think of one thing for which you can be thankful, even just that your heart is still beating and tomorrow you can start fresh.

Wild women, may you rest your weary heads tonight, may your heart overflow with blessings.

Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment