Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Think About It Tuesday

Guess the size of your spaghetti!!!!!
Food for thought, thought for food… if you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I am a HUGE proponent for mindful eating.  Any healthy eating plan requires that you think about what you put in your mouth (and subsequently in your body).  That’s one of the reasons why those who keep a food journal have a higher rate of weight loss success – they are keeping track of every morsel that sneaks past those lips!  Otherwise, it is ever so easy to come down with a wicked case of “food amnesia” that can prove terminal to the best laid eating plans out there.  “Oh yeah, I forgot that I ate those three cookies at 10am, or that half a brownie that was sitting there in the break room at 3pm… and I was so sleepy I just HAD to eat it to keep my blood sugar high!”  C’mon now, you know we’ve justified ourselves into the next size up too many times, am I right?  And the truth is, it truly IS easy to forget what we eat sometimes, especially if you’re racing around and you “pop something” just to stave off a mean case of the hungries.

But today I’m thinking about a different take on food for thought, thought for food that makes me shake my head and laugh.  Just this morning I saw an ad for “pot-sized spaghetti”.  Yes… this company is branding a whole new “breed” of spaghetti engineered specifically to fit in your pot.  Ummm… guys, our mom, grandmothers, great-grandmothers and beyond have solved that earth-shattering dilemma for centuries now… JUST BREAK THE SPAGHETTI IN HALF!!!!!!  Can I get a collective DUH??? From our wild women readers???!?!?!  Seriously?  Shorter spaghetti to fit in the pot?  And let me guess, I’ll bet this new “innovative and creative design” will cost more money as well, won’t it?!?!

I can’t help but think about the old story of a young bride making her first roast for the visiting family’s Sunday dinner.  She cuts off the end of the roast before putting it in the pan.  Her hubs asks why she did that, and she says that’s because her Mom always did it.  Well, when Mom shows up for dinner, her daughter asks her why she cut off the end of her roast before going into the oven, and Mom says, “Well, honey, that’s because my Mom did it that way.”  They go to the phone and call Grandmom to find out what the secret is to cutting off the end of a roast.  Flavor?  Letting the juices escape?  What? What?  As they wait with anticipation as they ask the question to Grandmom, she reveals the family secret.  “Well, dears, my pot was small and the roast never fit, so I just cut off the end to get it in the pan and into the oven!”

Like I said, thought for food… be mindful and intention about what you eat, and WHY you are preparing it, and WHY you need to spend extra money to get spaghetti that is shorter when you can just break it in half.  Things of puzzlement…..  

Exercise your brain cells today!

Blessings,


1 comment:

  1. Pot sized spaghetti. Oh my. Let me run out and buy it. NOT! Unreal. I know this is a very negative thing to share, but my husband says we have become a nation of morons, and this latest offering probably won't help to change his stance. So somehow, this 'new' breed of pasta doesn't surprise me. For real I'll be ROFLMBO when I see this in the grocery stores. ;)

    ReplyDelete