Thursday, October 25, 2012

Wild Woman Wednesday

I woke up this morning having dreamed the name Clare Boothe.  I’m not kidding, this is a true story.  I had this very bizarre and vivid dream about roaming about a beautiful graveyard with artistic stones and monuments.  People were touring it, and everyone was in 1940’s era clothing and hairstyles.  In my wanderings I came across a woman reading a poetry book and knitting, and for some reason I thought the book was written by someone named Clare Boothe.  This young woman was reading a poem out loud, and unfortunately I can’t recall the words of the poem.  What does all this mean?  I know, don’t eat heavy foods before bed!?!? 
So when I woke up I did the logical thing – I went to Google, researched her name and came up with information on the Socialite Clare Boothe Luce.  She was quite a woman – married to a publishing mogul, she was in her lifetime a US Congresswoman and ambassador to Brazil and Italy.  She also wrote plays, was a World War II war correspondent, and wrote articles and review.  She had some really interesting quotes as well, such as:
“No good deed goes unpunished.” (I’ve said this for years!)
“A man has only one escape from his old self: to see a different self in the mirror of some woman's eyes.”
“There is nothing harder than the softness of indifference.”
And my favorite:  “Courage is the ladder on which all the other virtues mount.”
But what surprised me the most was that she was the author of one of my very favorite movies of all time (which EVERY wild woman should consider required viewing), “THE WOMEN”, an all-female cast of some of the best actresses of the 1930's era (including Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russel, Norma Shearer, Paulette Goddard and Joan Fontaine)!  The original 1939 movie is an absolute MUST SEE (forget the lame remake from 2008).  Two words:  JUNGLE RED!  (You'll have to see the movie to understand that one.)  Click on Jungle Red for a preview...
So, exercise your wild women research skills and check out the links below to find out about this famous woman – it’s the stuff dreams are made of!
Blessings,
Coach Linda Bush

No comments:

Post a Comment