Friday, January 20, 2012

For Real Friday


I am a big fan of Paula Deen. She just cracks me up with her lovable and bold personality, and I enjoy watching her on the Food Network. She’s spunky, funny and can cook up a storm. I respect her journey and think she’s got so much good goin’ on. However…

I am very sad to hear that she is not using her celebrity platform to teach people how to cook more healthfully, especially after hearing that she has Type 2 Diabetes. There is an excellent article on CNN.com today from well known doctor and health expert Dr. Andrew Weil that says it so much better than I could, and I want to share that with you today – click HERE to read it.

When I hop on the treadmill or elliptical at the gym, I always turn the telly to the Food Network – oh yeah, run and sweat while you watch Paul and Ina, The Barefoot Contessa (and get hungrier by the moment). I shake my head as they plop down sticks of butter, slather gobs of bleu cheese over a steak and use white flour and white sugar to create decadently delicious and deadly desserts. While I am a firm believer that there is no bad food (as long as you’re not allergic or have medical reasons which limit it from your menu), let’s get real, ladies. Surely you could find little alternatives here and there to design a more healthful version of these beautiful but dangerous meals. I’ve been known to stop in the middle of my stride and talk out loud to the screen, “What?!?! Are you kidding?!?!”

I love love love me some yummy divine food, believe me I do. But when you find you have a disease like diabetes, you need to take it seriously, and not simply pop a pill and figure that’s it. You need to adjust your lifestyle with better foods, more exercise and whatever you need to do to own your best heath. Life is too short not to do everything you can to keep your body/soul/spirit at your personal best. Imagine how much Paula Deen could impact, inspire and help her diabetic fans! Maybe a new show, “Dishin’ Diabetic Delights with Paula Deen!” You are an amazing wild woman of fun and food, and we love you – we want you healthy and strong and showing others how to be the same!

So, like Dr. Weil says, “It could start with you, Paula Deen.” And hey, can I get that shrimp sauté’ recipe, Dr. Weil. It sure sounds like bliss… and healthy!

Blessings for a wonderful weekend,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment