Monday, September 30, 2013

Menopause Madness Monday

You may have experienced it already.  You may be in the middle of it.  You may be years away (but be warned... it's coming).  Menopause - the time of joy, relaxation and an exhilarated time of being continually calm, cool and collected... N-O-T!  While there are a few very blessed women (like my Mom) who never experience any symptoms (and by the way, Mom never had a cramp in her life and was in hard labor with me for all of three minutes... but did she pass these genes along to me?  No....... but I digress), many of us deal with the murderous mood swings, the discomfort and the dreaded "personal summers" and "power surges" that send us screaming to the nearest refrigerator to try and climb into the freezer section to get a break from feeling like we arere the Sunday roast in the oven!!!  I once described the feeling like this:  

Imagine it is the most desperately hot and humit day of summer on record in mid-Texas, and you are wearing a full-length faux fur coat as you walk over to your car that has been parked in the glare of the mid-day sun in a large blacktop parking lot.  You open the door and get in, quickly shutting the door so no heat escapes. You then BLAST the heat up as high as you can go and just sit there, watching the steering wheel melt. Yes, THIS is a HOT FLASH!!  Ladies, am I right, or am I right?

Well, I just saw this article recently in Prevention Magazine and thought it might help some of you just a little in alleviating those awful symptoms in a natural way.  It's entitled "14 Natural Remedies for Hot Flashes", and I think it's worth a look-see.  Hey, if even one of them helps you just a little, then my work here is done.

And did I ever mention that I've been through menopause THREE TIMES??!?!?  Yes. that is not a typo -- 1, 2, 3 times a lady (as Lionel Ritchie sang).  The first time was when I had my hysterectomy when I was 29.  I remember recovering at home, sitting on the couch feeling like my feet were in blocks of ice while I was drenched in sweat.  The second ever-so-lovely visit of the menopause monster came when I was in my late 40's and my phantom ovaries neglected to notify my pituitary gland that we had already bought a ticket to this merry-go-ground, so my body opted to go for it... again. But no, the ride wasn't completely over, much to my dismay.  A few years ago, while sitting at my computer, a series of personal summers decided to revisit me for a not-so-happy reunion.  I looked up, covered in perspiration (and ladies, I do not glow, I sweat.... like a drenched pig in a monsoon), and prayed, "God, really?  Seriously?  With all due respect, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!  What, is the third time the charm????"  I guess He felt it was one of my missions on earth to become a personal expert on hot flashes.  Sigh...

So... either click on the title of the article above, or click on this link:   

And remember... you are not a menopausal woman, you are a RED HOT MAMA!!!!!

Blessings,



No comments:

Post a Comment