Thursday, August 22, 2013

Tunes Thursday

Happy Birthday Claude Debussy – French composer who wrote Clair de Lune, one of my most favorite pieces of music.  His music is so incredibly beautiful and can take you far away.  Take a moment to key up www.google.com sometime today and see their doodle in his honor.

Today I’d like you to exercise your heart, spirit and ears and explore some of the classical pieces.  Go to a local radio station that plays classical music and just listen.  As a child I was fascinated by the Peer Gynt suite by Edvard Grieg and Peter and the Wolf by Sergei Prokofiev.  I can remember going on a grade school trip to see a full-blown professional orchestra and my little heart was just captured as I “saw” the music and imagined the colors and feelings and it flowed over me.  My years of ballet training exposed me to amazing classical compositions that literally had my body dancing to its strains and rhythms.  Blessedly, I have never lost the passion for this genre of music.  There is something that stirs you deep inside.  To this day I just can’t imagine Christmas without the score of Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite in the background. 

In fact, if you are a baby boomer, you were probably introduced to many classical compositions in none other than the old cartoons and 60’s TV!  The William Tell Overture by Rossini as Bugs Bunny was being chased, Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture in a cereal commercial, Vivaldi’s Four Seasons: Spring as Elmer Fudd got up early to hunt Bugs Bunny… you were subtly introduced to an amazing array of classical music without even knowing it!  And of course, who could forget Bo Derrick introducing us to Ravel’s Bolero in the movie “10”?  One of my favorite chick flick movies, “Somewhere In Time” (get out your tissues) forever tattooed Rachmaninov’s “Rhapsody On A Theme of Paganini” on my soul!

If you’re not familiar with the classics, here is a website that lists their “top 100” classics with artists.  I soooo encourage you to surf over and listen to their previews of the various pieces.  I think you’ll be surprised at how many may tickle your memory.  



Here in New Jersey this morning it’s raining, dark and gray – a perfect day to grab a cup of coffee or tea, sit quietly watching the rain from your window (or car windshield or screened/covered porch) and allow the soothing classics you melt over you and bathe you in their beauty.  Your spirit won’t be the same.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment