Thursday, March 29, 2012

Take a Nap Thursday

Don’t snooze?  You lose!  We have become a sleep poverty nation – bankrupt in the fine art of 40 winks.  I can personally attest to slumber-struggling on a nightly basis.  Some people awaken early to accomplish more (and bless your hearts, because I sure ain’t one of them).  Others (like myself) are dirty-stay-up-laters who can’t seem to find the off switch on our daily tasks, so we imagine we’re the energizer Bunny and just keep going and going until we literally drop our sorry selves into bed about half-past dark-thirty, only to awaken about 30 minutes later when the alarm goes off. 
Sleep deprivation has been found to also heighten the risk for a variety of major illnesses, including cancer, heart disease, diabetes and obesity.  A sleep deficit may put our bodies into a state of high alert, so our stress hormones elevate and drive up blood pressure.  Lack of sleep can affect our nervous system, enhance carb cravings, and reduce our alertness, thus losing our focus and concentration power.  What, what was I saying??? 
One of my favorite bloggers, Michael Hyatt, wrote a great little piece today called “5 Reasons Why You Should Take a Nap Every Day.”  Click HERE to read it – I think you’ll enjoy it!  Personally, I think that if we all had a mandatory cookies/milk afternoon break followed by a nap the world would be a much more beautiful, calm and more productive place.
I’m going to go now, get my favorite woobley and snuggle down for 20 minutes.  Yawn…zzzzzz
Blessings,
Linda

Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment