Friday, November 8, 2013

Foam Rolling Friday

Releasing the glutes on a foam roller
What is foam rolling?  As one writer in the Perform Better link below said, “It’s the poor man’s massage therapy.”  A foam roller is generally a 36-inch long cylindrical piece of foam tubing that is used with your body weight to apply pressure to soft tissues/muscles, not unlike accupressure.  It’s called self-myofascial release “self-massage”.  I tell my clients it’s ironing out your muscles!

I was introduced to foam roller by my own personal trainer about five years ago, and having been using it ever since.  I am a self-taught student of trigger point therapy, massage and myofacial release, which is essentially the soft tissue therapy for the treatment of skeletal muscle immobility and pain.  I have found it to be very beneficial to myself and clients in easing muscle tightness, ridding knots and helping my flexibility. 

As always, I am NOT a physician and you need to ALWAYS check with your doctor before starting any kind of physical/exercise routine!!

Below are some wonderful articles that explain foam rolling and provide methods of usage, including videos.  Exercise (and release) your rolling muscles today, and have a great weekend!

Blessings,


Read these articles!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment