Thursday, July 11, 2013

Tasty Thursday

I love soup anytime of the year.  Of course, I'm especially crazed about it just as my favorite season of Autumn blows in with her cool, crisp breezes and dancing multi-colored leaves.  Oh, I can't wait!  I'm soooo ready for Autumn!  But I digress... 

On yesterday's "Women Living Well" blog, they posted a recipe from Comfy in the Kitchen for Summer Corn and Potato Chowder.  My mouth watered just looking at the pictures and I can't wait to make this "yum in a bowl" flavor explosion - I may have to put this on the weekend menu - note to self, stop by the farmer's market stand and get fresh corn!!!  My only changes to this recipe to make it a little more beach bod friendly would be to substitute no-fat low sodium chicken broth, substitute w2hole milk for the one cup of half and half (or at least use fat-free half and half), and then substitute skim milk for the other cup of milk.  It might not be quite as creamy, but use this trick to add some creaminess without the calories to any soup recipe -- take about 1/2 cup to one cup of the soup and liquify it in your blender, then add back to your soup pot.  Instant cream of whatever without all that fat and calories!  I would also switch out two of the four tablespoons of butter with extra virgin olive oil.  You want some of the butter in there so you don't sacrifice that flavor.

Thanks to Courtney from Women Living Well and Janelle from Comfy in the Kitchen   Please be sure to surf over to their sites - lots of good stuff.

Get ready to exercise those taste buds, ladies -- serve this with a big old bahonkin' salad and you are good to go!  Save time in the long run by making several batches and freeze it for later, or give a batch to a friend so she won't have to cook!  

Blessings,

Coach Linda

Summer Corn and Red Potato Chowder
(makes about 8 servings)
6 medium ears of corn, husks and silk removed
4 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion diced
1 garlic clove chopped (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 lb baby red potatoes
2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) low sodium chicken broth
1 cup half and half
1 cup milk
1. Cut kernels from corn cobs and save 3 of the “cornless cobs”
2. In a large pot heat butter on med-high.
3. Add onions and saute about 5 mins until tender.
4. Add garlic and then stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
5. Stir in potatoes, corn, corncobs, broth, half and half, and milk.
6. Cover and let boil for 20 mins until potatoes are tender.
7. Discard cobs and enjoy!

This is one of my husband’s and my favorite soups…I changed it to suit the ingredients I had on hand. You won’t want to pass this one up my friends….it is so good that my husband takes the left overs to work the next day (which is typically unheard of for him).
A fantastic recipe right now when corn is IN season!
Shuck fresh corn on the cob

Rinse corn and get rid of all silk

Quarter baby red potatoes.

Dice onions.

With a knife-slice the corn off the cob.
You may end up cutting kernels unevenly-don’t worry about it.

Saute butter in large pot, add onions and garlic

Then add flour, salt and pepper – this will make a paste on your onions.

Add milk, broth, cream, corn, and potatoes.

Place 3 corn on the cobs (with kernels off) in the soup for an extra corny taste. This really “makes it”. Cover and let simmer for 20 mins until the potatoes are tender.

I added seasoned salt and pepper on top.
You will LOVE this!





No comments:

Post a Comment