Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sleepy Surprise Sunday


The end of Daylight Savings Time in the fall is by far the most wonderful night of the year, and at this point in my life rivals Christmas Eve and my birthday, because I get the gift of 60 whole minutes more in my life to sleep.  Such a rare thing, this sleeping oddity!  The joy I feel when I go to bed on this most magical of bedtimes almost keeps me away like a child on Christmas Eve.

So what happens this morning?  I wake up at 4am and can’t get back to sleep!  Nature’s cruel joke?  No, not at all really.  One of my goals is to become more morning-oriented.  Okay for anyone out there who knows me personally, you can stop laughing now.  No really, you’ll fall off your chair if you don’t stop laughing so hard!!  I got so much done this morning (as I write this it’s now 7am)!!!  I feel great.  Of course, ask me again at 3pm and you may find me using duct tape to keep my eyelids open. 

I have several friends who are naturally early risers, and while I have always thought them somewhat demented or having some morning gene that escaped my DNA, I secretly have envied their ability to accomplish more between 4am-7am than most can do all day (myself included).  I quietly long to have my eyes pop open at 4am, ready to meet the day all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (as my Grandmom used to say).  Instead, at 4am if I awaken, it’s usually to groan, hit the bathroom, crawl back into bed and pull the covers over my head, snuggling down into the warmth of my blankets to hibernate until the last possible thrice-pounded snooze button minute.

But now here is a new opportunity to use my body clock to the best possible advantage.  My brain/system still thinks its 5am instead of 4am, so is it possible to trick it and begin getting up at 4am this week?  Admittedly it may be a crazy, impossible dream, but it’s worth the shot – timing is everything, and what better time to try it than now?  I’d like to have a time of prayer and Bible reading without falling asleep (and waking up suddenly saying, AMEN! – Oh yeah, like God didn’t know I fell asleep while talking to Him?!??!!?) and I’d like to toss a load of laundry in, exercise, have a relaxed cup of tea at my kitchen table instead of running like a madwoman out the door.  I’m getting really jazzed about this plan, I really am!!!!

So… anybody up for joining me in this new fresh page on the morning journey?  I’m going to set up alarm(s) – yes, I use several – I’m telling you, stop laughing!  As I was saying… I’m going to set up alarm to go off at 4am tomorrow morning hoping and praying I can exercise my new body clock muscles (as well as my “I will do this” muscles) to begin a whole new morning routine.  Tomorrow morning I will report (and be held accountable by all of you) on whether I was able to pull off this seemingly unattainable feat!  Are you with me?  If so please post your comments here or write me at Linda@coachlindabush.com.

Blessings,


No comments:

Post a Comment